October is Hillsboro Arts Month. To get the celebration started, the community is invited to a Hillsboro Arts Month Kickoff Party from 7 – 9 pm at the Walters Cultural Arts Center following First Tuesday Art Walk. See this year’s Hillsboro Arts & Culture Endowment Awards at 7 pm, and then join the dance party in the Walters outdoor tent from 7:30 – 9 pm hosted by the Fire DJs. Longbottom Coffee & Tea will be offering beer, wine, and concessions for sale inside the Walters Lobby. Arrive early to check out Art Walk in Downtown Hillsboro with music and visual arts at a variety of local galleries and businesses in the Downtown Cultural Arts District from 5 – 8 pm. Masks are required. All ages welcome!
Looking for other ways to celebrate Arts Month in October? Here are 10 other things you can do:
- Take a one-day watercolor class at the Catherine Bede Gallery. Catherine Bede is a talented local watercolorist and she’ll teach you how to paint a watercolor from beginning to end in just a couple of hours. CatherineBedeGallery.com/Classes
- Visit Colours Art Supplies on Main Street and try a new medium. Do you enjoy painting? Consider trying mixed media. Love drawing? Try acrylic painting. The knowledgeable staff at Colours can help you find materials to suit any project. ColoursArt.com
- Enjoy a unique drive-thru Halloween theater experience from Bag&Baggage Productions. Still concerned about sitting next to strangers to see a play? Your local professional theater company is thinking of you! Audience members “attend” from their cars, are prompted to stop, start, press “play” on the audio tracks that come with your ticket, and make your way around the Rice Museum grounds as the show unfolds around and among your vehicles. BagNBaggage.org
- Take a cooking class at the Collective Kitchen. Have fun making macarons or Decadent Creations famous Drunken Pumpkin Cake or learn how to make Ethiopian cuisine or tamales this October. Collective Kitchen.net
- Visit an artist studio (or three) during the Washington County Artists Open Studio Tour. Over 60 local artists open the door to their studio. WashCoArt.org
- Attend an Opera Matinee. The Portland Opera is returning to the Walters for a show on October 9. Tickets on sale at Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/WaltersConcerts.
- Go to the Hip2BSquare exhibit opening at Sequoia Gallery + Studios. Sequoia is one of the participants in the Downtown Hillsboro Art Walk on the first Tuesday of each month. On October 5 from 5 – 8 pm, enjoy the new show at Sequoia Gallery and then check out a few of the other Art Walk locations. SequoiaGalleryStudios.org
- Learn something new—with your family! The Walters is offering two one-day classes on Saturday, October 2: an interactive lecture/demonstration class on Classical Indian Dance for ages 12 to adult and a Family Clay Workshop for ages 8 to adult. Register at Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/WaltersClasses.
- Listen to live music most nights of the week while you enjoy a slice of wood-fired pizza and drinks at Pizzario. Pizzariopdx.com
- Bookmark the events calendar at Tualatin Valley Creates to find creative cultural events in Washington County all year long. TVCreates.org/Calendar-Of-Events
Hillsboro Arts Month is an initiative of the Hillsboro Arts & Culture Council, designed to highlight the creative community of the City of Hillsboro. For more information and to find other arts and cultural events to attend throughout October, visit HillsboroArtsMonth.org.